Monday 4 February 2008

'Insure And Go' Don't Care About Snowboarders

To paraphrase Kanye West, 'INSURE AND GO' are to snowboarders what George Bush is to Hurricane Katrina survivors.

I had £1500 worth of snowboarding equipment stolen from the transfer coach a few years back during a trip to Livigno, Italy. The reps from the holiday company at the time (who, PLEASE TAKE NOTE, have since changed their name to AIRTOURS) tried to intimidate me at the hotel with a gang of huge 6 ft plus ski guides into 'admitting' it was my fault not theirs.

I'll never book anything with those scum bags again.

'Well,' they said sarcastically, 'you're insured'. As if it was an excuse.

"The reps from the holiday company tried to intimidate me at the hotel with a gang of huge 6 ft plus ski guides..."

I'd lost a brand new top of the range 'Terje' Burton snowboard that I'd never even had the privilege to ride one time, plus my bindings, boots and all my snowboarding clothes. Even the snowboard bag they were packed in. All the stuff I had managed to collect over 4 years of snowboarding.

The sad truth is, I was insured. With Insure And Go. I had heard from a friend that they were good if you got hurt on the mountain - which, let's face it, is the single most important consideration when buying snow sports insurance. It never occured to me that I might get robbed but I bought the premium insurance cover anyway, just in case the airline lost my luggage.

During the transfer from the airport to Livgno, the coach stopped once as we were allowed to stretch our legs and grab a coffee in a nearby cafe. That was the only time coach and my luggage were out of my sight.

When we arrived in Livigno to be dropped off at our hotel my snowboard bag and its contents had mysteriously vanished.

I confronted the reps who said some stuff had been tranferred to another coach as half the party went to another resort and they would track my bag down. later they changed their story and said that had never happened.

I have never lost my bag before or had anything stolen and therefore had no experience of dealing with insurance companies. I had no receipts for my equipment and had no photos of my gear either.

I called Insure and Go from Livigno the morning after my stuff disappeared and explained my situation. They said don't worry. All I needed was a letter from the holiday company to say stuff was lost and maybe a photo of me snowboarding as proof of my equipment.

I provided both.

Insure And Go are liars.

"they asked for more and more proof until months had elapsed and I simply lost the will to pursue my claim"

They never actually turned down my claim. Everytime I provided any info they requested, they asked for more and more proof until months had elapsed and I simply lost the will to pursue my claim.

As a result I hate them even more than the people who stole my equipment (who I strongly suggest were the local Livigno reps of Airs Tours).

Let me say simply this... if an insurance premium is so cheap it seems too good to be true? That's because ot is.

Anyone can offer a cheap premium if they never pay anybody out! As far as I am concerned, my insurance premium with Insure And Go cost me £1500 PLUS the cost of the premium I paid to those crooks.

Next time I will insure myself myself with a company for snowboarders and recommended by snowboarders. I hear Snowboard Club UK do one and will be checking it out.

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/insurance

It might cost more but if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Insure And Go? 'Insure And Go Fuck Yourself' more like.

No comments: